Our Church


Catholic Church of Saint Augustine, Handsworth.

The beginnings of our parish came in the very early years of the twentieth century. Mass was celebrated in a small school in Albert Road.

When St. Augustine's School was built in 1908, Mass was celebrated in the end room which still has the iron cross on the roof – our current Year 1 classroom.

From 1913, the area was given its own priest, Fr Joseph Clavin, who took rooms in Headingly Road. As time passed, the parishioners raised enough money to build a presbytery which was completed in 1932 next to the school on Avenue Road.

Eventually, enough money was raised to build the present church next to the presbytery. Building began in June 1938 and the foundation stone was laid on 18 July. The parish, created from part of St. Francis' parish, had been in existence for 25 years. The church was officially opened on 26 July 1939, having cost £8,500.

During World War II, air raid shelters were constructed underneath. The church was hit by a bomb one evening. This failed to explode and St. Augustine's was spared the destruction which overtook many other parts of Birmingham during those terrible years.

Since then successive priests and loyal parishioners have continued to raise money to develop the building of both church and school. The church itself was finally consecrated in March, 1978.

St. Augustine's Catholic Church
Avenue Road
Handsworth
Birmingham
B21 8ED
Telephone: 0121 554 2662

Parish Priest: Rev Fr Peter Smith
Parish Deacon: Rev John Green

Mass Times

  • Sunday Masses: 9.00am and 11.00am
  • Holy Day Masses: 9.30am and 7.30pm
  • Confession: Saturday at 11.30pm

Gallery


Saint Augustine of England is the patron of our parish and school.
 
We attend Mass regularly as a school.

The altar is the focus point in our church.
 
We are very proud of our beautiful church.

John baptised Jesus in the River Jordan.
 
We pray to Mary, our Mother in Heaven.

Sacred Heart of Jesus, we place all our trust in you.
 
This beautiful rose window is above the organ.

These men gave their lives to protect us in World War I.
 
Our church had its own air raid shelter for children during World War II.